[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR: EARED GREBE and other niceties

Bill Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Sat May 31 21:36:01 PDT 2008

I birded the River "S" Unit at Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington; http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ). I arrived there about 6:45a. Carol Ledford joined me about 9am and we birded together until about 7:30p.

Highlights:

EARED GREBE: This beautiful breeding plumage little critter gets Bird of the Day honors, as it was directly in front of The Blind and only about 80 yards out.

VIRGINIA RAIL: One seen at The Blind. On the Kiwa Trail, walking clockwise, we saw at least 3 adults and about 5 black chicks on the left side of the first bridge. Each adult we saw, was accompanied by a chick that stayed very close and would flap its stubby wings and beg for food each time the parent found something. Busy parents! At the hairpin turn after the far boardwalk, we saw another parent and 2 little black chicks.

BULLOCK'S ORIOLE: Several seen on the day, including a Brilliant male that landed on the bridge rail as I crossed it around 8am. It was literally 4 feet directly off my driver's window. We sat there for about 30 seconds just looking at each other. Good morning Mr. Bullock's ORIOLE! The female BULLOCK'S ORIOLE is still in her nest, which is hanging about 25-30 feet above the road before the bridge.

Bill Clemons
SW of Portland in Mtn Park
willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Birding:
The best excuse for getting outdoors
And avoiding chores

Complete list of 70 species seen / heard:

Pied-billed Grebe
EARED GREBE
American Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Turkey Vulture
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
BLUE-WINGED TEAL (2 drakes seen)
Cinnamon Teal (lots and plenty)
Northern Shoveler (a few)
NORTHERN PINTAIL (1 on Rest Lake)
REDHEAD (4 pair seen on the day)
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead (5 hens on Rest Lake)
Ruddy Duck (a lot of courtship display going on today on Rest Lake)
Osprey
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
VIRGINIA RAIL (heard and seen)
Sora (heard several)
American Coot
Killdeer
Wilson's Snipe
Mourning Dove
Vaux's Swift
Belted Kingfisher
RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER (3 seen near R/R area)
Northern Flicker
Western Wood-Pewee
Willow Flycatcher
Pacific-slope Flycatcher
Steller's Jay
Western Scrub-Jay
American Crow
Tree Swallow
Violet-green Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Cliff Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch (heard only – entrance canyon)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren
House Wren
Marsh Wren
SWAINSON'S THRUSH (seen and heard)
American Robin
European Starling
Cedar Waxwing
Orange-crowned Warbler
YELLOW WARBLER (lots heard, 1 seen very well on Kiwa)
Common Yellowthroat
WESTERN TANAGER (heard and seen, entrance canyon and R/R area)
Spotted Towhee
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Black-headed Grosbeak (lots)
Red-winged Blackbird
YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD (excellent views at S Quigley Lake)
Brown-headed Cowbird
BULLOCK'S ORIOLE (about a half dozen seen)
House Finch
American Goldfinch