[Tweeters] birds in the news, mystery birds, etc. (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 16:31:09 PST 2008

Hello Tweeties,

now that you've all finished casting your votes, are you ready to relax by reading Birds in the News and by looking at a few mystery birds? Here's this week's issue of Birds in the News for you to enjoy;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/11/birds_in_the_news_150.php

This issue features another astonishing image of the courting pair of European bee-eaters.

Considering that today is a special day, Bob Levy, a friend and published writer sent along this message for all of you;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/11/a_public_service_announcement.php

The most recently "demystified" mystery bird was, as some of you correctly identified, was a Hutton's Vireo, Vireo huttoni;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/11/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_54.php

I am so pleased that I just had to point out that one of your fellow readers learned something from all of you and your sharp-eyed identification (read the comment thread) -- THIS is my primary goal for presenting images of these mystery birds to all of you. So pat yourselves on the back!

The other mystery bird was, as many of you correctly identified, a Red-winged Blackbird, Agelaius phoeniceus;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/11/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_57.php

Rick Wright's analysis of this bird will be published as soon as I receive it (I think I accidentally got a little ahead of him with some of these images, sorry Rick!).

Yesterday's mystery bird, courtesy of photographer, John del Rio, experienced some internet issues that caused it to make a very late appearance, but I fixed the problem as soon as I managed to get wifi, so here is the link for those of you who might have originally missed it;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/11/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_82.php

and last but not least, courtesy of photographer, Joseph Kennedy, here's today's lovely little bird for you to ID;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/11/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_69.php

cheers,

GrrlScientist
Devorah
http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/
Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC