[Tweeters] Point Wilson, another Yellow-billed Loon

Bob Whitney rlw at cablespeed.com
Thu Nov 13 19:35:39 PST 2008

11-13-08, Time 1230-1530, Tide high incoming to high outgoing, swell 3 feet,
NW wind 3- 10 mph, clear skies, temp. 52 degrees

Yellow-billed Loon 1

Common loon 2

Pacific Loon 28

Red-throated Loon 1

Horned Grebe 4

Pelagic cormorant 17

Double-crested Cormorant 15

Brandt's Cormorant 2

Common Murre 41

Pigeon Guillemot 16

Rhinoceros Auklet 5

Marbled Murrelet 21

Ancient Murrelet 47

Heermann's Gull 1

Glaucus-winged Gull 33

Mew Gull 53

Surf Scoter 6

White-winged Scoter 9

Harlequin Duck 8

Long-tailed Duck 1

Sanderling 120

Dunlin 80

Black Turnstone 1

Canada Geese 34

The Yellow-billed Loon is a different bird than the one seen no 10-28 and
10-30 by me. The one seen on 11-13 is still pretty much in its breeding
plumage. Yes I have an image of this latest YBL and it's in flight. You can
see the image on my site, listed below.

The storm of the last few days has brought in the alcids, there numbers are
up. The Ancient Murrelets were active feeding close to the point with the
many gulls on forage fish most likely sand lance. All are eating well in
Admiralty Inlet.

I had a great three hours at Point Wilson. I never tire of going there, 248
days so far this year.

Bob Whitney

Port Townsend, WA

mailto:rlw at cablespeed.com