[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2008-11-13

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Nov 13 17:47:22 PST 2008

Tweets - I think the rain stopped about 6:00 a.m. (Matt and Scott, who were
already birding at that hour might be able to be more precise on the
timing). The morning was still cloudy to start, with a few breezy gusts,
but it turned into a gorgeous morning.

Birds were about, probably glad for a break in the weather. For some
reason, we didn't manage that many really close sightings of most species,
but things were definitely around.

The water level was about 1' 3" higher than last week! (And about 4"
higher than yesterday morning) This meant flooding near the start of the
boardwalk, and generally muddy conditions elsewhere. Rubber boots were
definitely called for.

Matt and Scott had BARN OWLs, Matt with 2 at the windmill, and another
flying over the road; Scott had one over the East Meadow. Scott also
flushed a SHORT-EARED OWL. Those guys were out birding about the time I got
up for the day...

We had the usual 5 species of gulls for this time of year at Marymoor -
mostly MEW GULLs, with about 10% GLAUCOUS-WINGED and "Olympic" Gulls, a few
RING-BILLED GULLS, at least one CALIFORNIA GULL, and one pure-looking
WESTERN GULL. All of these were swirling around the grass fields early on.
With one group was a small shorebird, probably a DUNLIN.

The biggest surprise was an amazingly late-season VAUX'S SWIFT that was
generally above the weir area at about 8:00 a.m. This is fully 6 weeks
later than we've ever had one before.

Large flocks of CACKLING GEESE flew overhead before about 8:30. Some of
those flocks had a few CANADA GEESE as well. In all, we had 400-500
Cacklers, though none on the ground.

A NORTHERN SHRIKE (I think only one) gave us many good looks. It was
ranging over a large area, from the model airplane field all the way over to
the Pea Patch (though never seen north of the road, and usually within about
100 yards of it.) A very nice adult bird. This was our first look at a
shrike at Marymoor this fall, although Tom Parsons photographed possibly the
same one on the 4th - see the next issue of WOSNews.

We had many accipiter sightings (at least 3-4 different birds and more
sightings). I'm confident we had both Sharpie and Cooper's, but I was
definitely not able to tell on several of the sightings.

Duck numbers continue to be low. We had a few MALLARD, about a dozen
BUFFLEHEAD, a somewhat late WOOD DUCK, and several HOODED MERGANSER. John
Tubbs reported some GREEN-WINGED TEAL, but that was it for ducks.

For the day, 59 species (and no mammals, curiously enough).

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== http://www.marymoor.org/BirdBlog.htm