[Tweeters] Skagit Pom Jaeger, Cassin's Auklets, Rusty Blackbird

Ryan Merrill rmerrill27 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 21:51:56 PST 2008

This morning I headed to Green Point in Washington Park in hopes of
finding a stray shearwater blown in from yesterdays storm. No
tubenoses for me but with a Pomarine Jaeger and three Cassin's Auklets
I'm not complaining! I'm unaware of any specific records of either
species from Skagit County though both are listed in Washington
Birder's Skagit checklist.

I also looked off Rosario Head for a few minutes where there was
another Ancient Murrelet and a single Rhinocerous Auklet to make it a
six alcid morning. On the east side of March Point a Short-eared Owl
flew in from over the water to briefly land in a cedar tree before
flying off.

Up on the Samish Flats at Sullivan Road just south of the "Samish T"
intersection was a large flock of blackbirds - 2500 starlings, 1500
RW, 800 Brewer's, 20 BH Cowbirds, one female RUSTY. Also here in the
fields were 7000 Dunlin and 32 Western Sandpipers. On Samish Island
there were 19 Black Turnstones and a Surfbird. Near the East 90 a
Northern Shrike was perched on the wire. One Eurasian Collared-Dove
was perched in the open in Edison in a brief drive through. Around
dusk at the Skagit Game Range there was a Long-tailed Weasel and at
least 17 calling Virginia Rails, one of which I saw.

Good birding,
Ryan Merrill
Kirkland, WA

Location: Washington Park
Observation date: 11/13/08
Notes: Seawatch from Green Point 7:40am-9:40am, mostly sunny, W
wind ~15mph for first hour calming to 5-10 in second hour
Number of species: 36

Brant 80
Surf Scoter 165
White-winged Scoter 50
Long-tailed Duck 2
Bufflehead 1
Common Goldeneye 2
Barrow's Goldeneye 1
Red-breasted Merganser 13
Red-throated Loon 13
Pacific Loon 5
Common Loon 2
Red-necked Grebe 20
Western Grebe 6
Brandt's Cormorant 15
Double-crested Cormorant 10
Pelagic Cormorant 10
cormorant sp. 300
Bald Eagle 7
Dunlin 5 flying southwest out over water
Bonaparte's Gull 300 too distant to look through
Mew Gull X
Glaucous-winged Gull X
POMARINE JAEGER 1 8:20, watched for half a minute flying
southwest; bulky, would be tough to believe it could be a Parasitic
even if it didn't have spoons
Common Murre 70
Pigeon Guillemot 28
Marbled Murrelet 34
Ancient Murrelet 32 none until 9:10, then all within next 20
min incl flock of 12
CASSIN'S AUKLET 3 9:15, watched take off from water and in
flight; size, shape & coloration compared to nearby ANMU
Anna's Hummingbird 1
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Common Raven 3
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1