[Tweeters] mystery birds, world map of birds at risk (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 17:10:42 PST 2008

hello everyone,

my friend, aviculturist, Scott Lewis, sent me a link to worldmapper, a site that redraws the world map so that countries are resized on the basis of a variety of diagnostic criteria, which leads to some rather unusually shaped countries and continents. i posted one of these resized maps on my site that visually describes worldwide bird species at risk based on where they are found. this map can be viewed here;

the most recently demystified mystery bird was, as many of you correctly identified, a Henslow's Sparrow, Ammodramus henslowii;

be sure to check that link to read Rick Wright's interesting essay for identifying this species.

today's mystery bird, thanks to my own humble photography skills, can be viewed here;

i'll give you one hint for this bird: it is NOT a north american species!

Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC