[Tweeters] mystery birds, world map of birds at risk (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 17:10:42 PST 2008

hello everyone,

my friend, aviculturist, Scott Lewis, sent me a link to worldmapper, a site that redraws the world map so that countries are resized on the basis of a variety of diagnostic criteria, which leads to some rather unusually shaped countries and continents. i posted one of these resized maps on my site that visually describes worldwide bird species at risk based on where they are found. this map can be viewed here;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/11/world_map_of_birds_at_risk.php

the most recently demystified mystery bird was, as many of you correctly identified, a Henslow's Sparrow, Ammodramus henslowii;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/11/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_73.php

be sure to check that link to read Rick Wright's interesting essay for identifying this species.

today's mystery bird, thanks to my own humble photography skills, can be viewed here;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/11/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_75.php

i'll give you one hint for this bird: it is NOT a north american species!

cheers,

GrrlScientist
Devorah
http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/
Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC