[Tweeters] Merlin with prey unusual for neighborhood

Dianna Moore dlmoor2 at coastaccess.com
Sat Nov 15 18:36:34 PST 2008

I have most often seen snipe in the many roadside ditches out here in Ocean
Shores. As much rain as we have been getting this year, it doesn't take much
to fill them and keep them pretty wet.

Dianna Moore
Ocean Shores, Wa.
dlmoor2 at coastaccess.com

Greetings, all,

This morning around 10:15, I found a big Merlin plucking prey on a low
power pole near 16th and Republican in Seattle (Capitol Hill). The more
surprising part is what the feathers and most of a beak I found drifting
down are from: Wilson's Snipe (!). The nearest wetlands worthy of a
snipe being on Lake Washington, Portage Bay, or Lake Union, over hills
and probably close to two miles away, I suspect the falcon snagged it in
flight over the neighborhood.

Cheers,

Alan
Seattle