[Tweeters] Canvasbacks at Bob Heirman

Martha Jordan swanlady at drizzle.com
Sun Nov 30 12:11:55 PST 2008

I was out at the park on Saturday and the Canvasbacks are definately in. I
counted about 22 in the foggy conditions.
Every year Canvasbacks are seen at the park. The numbers have varied, some
years more than others. This is a good number.

The real treat for anyone wanting to know how many birds are really in the
park needs to go just before dusk and stay a bit. This is when the ducks
start to leave for the night field feeding. The counts for the past 2
winters has been between 35,000 and 50,000. Where do they hide during the
day? In the grass areas and the unseen ponds beyond the lake. Even in an
aerial survey you cannot see all the ducks, I mean you cannot see most of
them. Thespectacle of all these birds flying low overhead, calling is
wonderful. What is really fun on some nights is when the swans are coming
in and ducks are leaving: clouds of ducks going and white swans coming in.
Last year my survey showed most were mallards and Am. wigeon, then
pintail, and green-winged teal, ring-necked ducks and then a smattering of
Cans, coots, shoveler, gadwall.

Martha Jordan

"Perception is your sense of reality,
Perspective is your grip on reality."