[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 10/29/08 (Late)

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Mon Nov 3 12:37:47 PST 2008

Tweets,

Sorry for the late report but I went straight from the refuge to Home Depot
and got a couple of gallons of paint so I could finish the house painting
project I was working on and then I was gone over the weekend. Things are back
to normal (or nearly so) so no more delays.

Wednesday was a very nice autumn day for a walk. Cool but not windy or wet.
Surprisingly the birds did not cooperate as much as I would have thought.

We started with MALLARDS, AMERICAN WIGEON and an AMERICAN BITTERN flyby at
the visitor center, but things slowed down from there. There were few geese
on the refuge but we did see both CANADA and CACKLING GEESE. We also added
GREEN-WINGED TEAL to our waterfowl list but that was it.

We did see several NORTHERN HARRIERS and RED-TAILED HAWKS and a pair of BALD
EAGLES landed in the cottonwood trees near the Nisqually River overlook.
There was an adult NORTHERN SHRIKE near where the ring dike used to be that was
playing tag with a FLICKER.

We didn't see many passerines but we did see a flock of BUSHTITS at the
start of the boardwalk and saw lots of CEDAR WAXWINGS.

All told for the day we saw 30 species with nothing new for the year.

Mammals seen were COLUMBIAN BLACK-TAILED DEER and HARBOR SEAL.

Until Wednesday when we start at 8:00 AM....

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 @aol.com
Lacey, WA
360-459-1499