[Tweeters] Merlin with prey unusual for neighborhood

pan panmail at fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 15 16:04:34 PST 2008

Greetings, all,

This morning around 10:15, I found a big Merlin plucking prey on a low
power pole near 16th and Republican in Seattle (Capitol Hill). The more
surprising part is what the feathers and most of a beak I found drifting
down are from: Wilson's Snipe (!). The nearest wetlands worthy of a
snipe being on Lake Washington, Portage Bay, or Lake Union, over hills
and probably close to two miles away, I suspect the falcon snagged it in
flight over the neighborhood.

Cheers,

Alan
Seattle