[Tweeters] Okanogan Highlands today

Ron McCluskey rmcclsky at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 19 16:22:32 PST 2008

Yesterday in good weather, I was able to spend about 3 hours in the Okanogan Highlands.

I started at the Highland Snow Park outside of Havillah. The gate to the road up the mountain to the left was open and I drove up there about 5 miles. There has been a fair amount of logging there over the summer, so the habitat is somewhat thinned out. However, on the way back, just downhill from the 13 milepost, I was able to call in a Strix owl and get good photos.

There were many Buteos out with most being Rough-legged Hawks including a few dark morphs.

Traveling east on Mary Ann Creek Rd., I found one flock of about 20 Pine Grosbeaks.

Bolster Rd. was dead with only one hawk seen.

Photos are here:

Owl http://birdphotosonline.com/barred-owl-okanogan-county-wa-usa
Hawks http://birdphotosonline.com/rough-legged-hawks-okanogan-county-wa-usa
Pine Grosbeak http://birdphotosonline.com/pine-grosbeak-okanogan-county-wa-usa