[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 10/1/08

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Oct 2 06:12:56 PDT 2008

Tweets,

Yesterday 9 of us walked Nisqually in mostly foggy conditions. The tide was
way in and that allowed us to get some good looks at shorebirds and
waterfowl out on Nisqually Reach. The trail to McAllister Creek is still closed so we
walked out along the Nisqually River to the maintenance road and back.

Highlights of the day were just at the start of the walk and out at the
sound. There were 3 AMERICAN BITTERN flying around at the pond at the pond at
the visitor center as we gathered to start the walk at 7:30 and we saw a GREEN
HERON just off the start of the boardwalk to the twin barns.

Passerine activity was pretty slow in part due to the fog. There was also a
lot of construction noise near the twin barns as construction of the new
dike continues in that area. With the exception of YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS we
didn't see many other warblers. We did have our first of the season
RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET.

Out at Nisqually Reach there were over 1000 ducks, mostly AMERICAN WIGEON
and MALLARDS. There had to be a EURASIAN WIGEON or two in the flock but with
the flat light we couldn't pick one out. There were also some shorebirds on
the mud flats fairly close to the trail.

Seen were WESTERN SANDPIPERS, DUNLIN, BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, and SHORT-BILLED
DOWITCHERS. The fog prevented us from seeing much past the waterline so not
sure what was farther out on the sound.

All told we saw 48 species for the day with the BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER being
new for the year. We now have 137 species for the year.

Mammals seen were EASTERN GRAY SQUIRREL and HARBOR SEAL.

Reminder: hunting season opens next Saturday, October 11 so the outer dike
trail will be closed at the back end of the ring dike. Areas open to birding
and walking are shrinking rapidly at Nisqually.

Until next week when we may do the long walk again...

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 @aol.com
Lacey, WA
360-459-1499