[Tweeters] Tag you are it! With a question.

johntubbs at comcast.net johntubbs at comcast.net
Fri Oct 3 11:33:50 PDT 2008

Hi Melissa and Everyone,

There is no doubt a lot of serious defensive behavior going on here, as was noted earlier, since accipiters are predators - though I think taking an adult crow might be tough for a Sharpie or Cooper's. Crows are on the large size and pretty smart, so I don't believe the adults are major prey species (someone out there may know differently and educate us).

However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a 'play' aspect to it as well. Corvids are known to engage in behaviors that appear to have no other function other then entertaining themselves. I saw an amazing video once - can't remember the source and don't have a link - that was taken of ravens on the English west coast. The winds blow off the North Atlantic, hit the limestone cliffs and create tremendous updrafts. The videographer saw several ravens using the stiff updraft for 'play' and filmed it. The birds would fly out away from the cliffs and then fly in toward the areas with a strong updraft. They would hit the updraft and literally be blown head over heels and sent tumbling around in the air, out of control. They would then eventually recover to normal flight. If this had happened only once per bird, one could conclude they were taken by surprise and it was an accident. Except these ravens continued to circle away from and then directly back into the updraft !
to be o
nce again blasted out of control, over and over, apparently entertaining themselves in the process. It was pretty amazing to watch.

John Tubbs
Snoqualmie, WA
johntubbs at comcast.net
www.tubbsphoto.com