[Tweeters] Hummingbird ID help, please

Aquila Chrysaetos Ladyhawk707 at msn.com
Fri Oct 3 18:24:36 PDT 2008

I haven't gotten much of a look at it yet. It's got a green back and a dark-flecked throat. It held its tail closed while feeding. But, I've been hearing this soft snore-like sound and wondering if it's my pond pump going bad, my camera whirring, a new jay sound or a mysterious new yard bird. It actually is the sound of this hummingbird flying. I don't recall my Rufous hummingbirds making this sound. Is it a late juvenile Rufous or possibly an Anna's hummingbird? What diagnostic visual cues should I concentrate on to distinguish between the two species?

Thanks much,

Sandy Daniels, Enumclaw Plateau

Ladyhawk707 AT msn DOT com