[Tweeters] re: Kitsap County Ross's Goose

Brad Waggoner wagtail at sounddsl.com
Sun Oct 5 19:06:44 PDT 2008

Hi Scott and all,

Yes, The Ross's Goose observed by Mary yesterday was the same bird that
has been at this property south of Poulsbo for the last 8 years (+-).
Sorry I don't recall its actual arrival date. It was a wild bird that
came in with a small flock of Snow Geese but stuck around because it
fell in love. It has not been restrained in any way.

As I have not thoroughly analyzed the ABA listing rules, I am not
absolutely sure of its "countable" status, but I would think it is a
"countable" bird. If a bird is of wild origin, and is not being
restrained in anyway, what would cause it to be then classified as
"domesticated" - a certain length of time at one location? I am just
curious.

On a reporting note, Doug Watkins, George Gerdts and I had a few
interesting birds on a morning effort on the southern end of Bainbridge
Island. A late Yellow Warbler along with 6 Orange-crowned Warblers (one
being an orestera) while not seeing a single Yellow-rumped Warbler was
kind of strange. Waterfowl movement over Puget Sound was quite good but
our biggest highlight was an alcid. We had one close-in flying CASSIN'S
AUKLET. Bainbridge Island has only two previous records for Cassin's
Auklet.

Cheers, good birding and happy goose-listing,

Brad Waggoner
Bainbridge Island
mailto:wagtail at sounddsl.com