[Tweeters] mystery birds (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 11 10:21:48 PDT 2008

hello tweeties,

yesterday's mystery bird, courtesy of photographer Richard Ditch, was a Pine Siskin, Carduelis pinus;

several readers said the mystery bird's bill looks too heavy to be characteristic of a pine siskin, suggesting that this bird might possibly be a hybrid, but i stared at that bird, fields guides in-hand, and i could not see anything out of the "ordinary" about this bird. if you have more input regarding this, feel free to enlighten me! another question asked was the origin of the word, "siskin", which i attempted to answer (in comments on that entry).

courtesy of photographer Joseph Kennedy, here's today's mystery bird for you to identify;

some of you might be interested to read my photoessay about the montlake fill (UBNA)

Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC