[Tweeters] Hoody and Woody in Arboretum

Marc Hoffman tweeters at dartfrogmedia.com
Mon Oct 20 01:33:36 PDT 2008

I paddled the Arboretum Saturday and had several treats. One that
particularly interests me is the presence of a male HOODED MERGANSER,
in full courtship regalia, who seems to prefer the lady WOOD DUCKS.
This may be the same hoody I saw exhibiting similar behavior last
year, though the one I saw last year was aggressive toward male Wood
Ducks and this one seemed to get along with them (perhaps they've
done some male bonding since then?). I wonder if there's something
about these two species that reminds them of their proper mates --
perhaps size, crests, and general coloration/color patterns? Some
courtship photos are at the URL below.

I also watched a BAND-TAILED PIGEON fly into the water briefly, then
decide it wasn't truly a waterfowl, and flutter along the surface to
rest by the water's edge, where it proceeded to take a nice long
bath. Photos of this, plus some extra Wood Duck photos, are included here:

<http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/birds/arboretum/081018/>http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/birds/arboretum/081018/

Marc Hoffman
Kirkland, WA
http://www.dartfrogmedia.com
mailto: tweeters at dartfrogmedia dot com