[Tweeters] American Tree Sparrow Pictures

Evan Houston evanghouston at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 16:44:31 PDT 2008

Hi Tweeters,

I couldn't resist slipping out of work this afternoon after reading Gene Hunn's report that the American Tree Sparrow was still at the Montlake Fill, given that I work on the UW campus, and that a lifer was lurking just minutes away!

I was able to relocate the American Tree Sparrow, and I was luckily able to get a few workable digiscoped photos; link to slideshow of 3 pictures below. I initially staked out a spot where Gene saw the sparrow, on the gravel trail N of the SW pond just before the intersection with Wahkiakum Lane. My stakeout only produced Song, Golden-crowned, and Lincoln's Sparrows, so I then worked back south down the gravel trail, and was able to view the bird along the trail. It gave multiple sharp, metallic call notes that helped me stay on it, and it foraged on the trail, and perched in the saplings beside the trail. It did not associate with other sparrows in the brush while I observed it, instead staying in the area with more saplings about equidistant between the SW pond and Wahkiakum Lane, in the area where Barry Levine initially saw it. A great map of the Fill that Kathy Andrich often mentions is:

http://tinyurl.com/5mb3em

pictures: http://tinyurl.com/5q5ctw

Good birding,
Evan Houston