[Tweeters] mystery birds, book review and UV vision in budgies (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 21 13:02:36 PDT 2008

Hello Tweeties,

I am sorry I am late posting this message, but my wifi access is becoming increasingly unpredictable these days, so much so that I am simply happy to be able to communicate at all with "my world"!

The most recent mystery bird, courtesy of photographer Richard Ditch, was a Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Aegolius acadicus. Be sure to return to this mystery bird to read Rick Wright's analysis;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/10/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_49.php

Here's today's mystery bird, courtesy of photographer Collin Jensen;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/10/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_52.php

I also wrote a review of photographer Paul Bannick's new book, The Owl and the Woodpecker, that you might like to read, especially as you begin planning your holiday gift giving;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/10/the_owl_and_the_woodpecker.php

I found one more interesting video clip from the PBS Nature program, Parrots in the Land of Oz, that discusses the budgerigar's ability to see UV light reflectance;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/10/uv_vision_in_budgerigars.php

Tonight is the last night that this program will be aired on PBS, so be sure to check your local listings (link included from blog entry) so you don't miss this program.

cheers,

GrrlScientist
Devorah
http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/
Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC