[Tweeters] Broad-winged Hawks in W Washington

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Fri Oct 24 15:45:45 PDT 2008

Charlie and Tweeters,

Broad-winged Hawks now appear to be regular, but still very rare, fall
migrants in southwestern BC. To the best of my knowledge, about 2 or 3 are
seen most years at the Rocky Point Bird Observatory west of Victoria. The
peak occurrence is in late September or very early October, about the same
time as Turkey Vulture numbers peak.

I'm not aware of any location on Vancouver Island which has reported "many"
Broad-winged Hawks in one year, and if so, I would seriously question the
identification.

In the Vancouver area, we probably have fewer than 10 sightings of
Broad-wings ever, although we do not have any regular hawk-watching
locations here. (Cypress Bowl in West Vancouver has proved worthwhile, but
hawk numbers there are fairly low.)

Prior to 10 or 15 years ago, Broad-wings were not known to nest west of the
Rocky Mountains. They were rare breeders even in the Peace River District of
northeastern BC. Recently, they have become regular but rather rare breeders
around Prince George in central BC, and probably in other nearby areas. We
can expect them to become more frequent as fall migrants in southern BC and
WA in future. However, they are still rare as migrants and should be
identified with caution. (I presume that all sightings should be reported,
with details, to the WA Records Committee until we hear otherwise.)

Wayne C. Weber
Delta, BC
contopus at telus.net