[Tweeters] mystery birds (links)

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 12:15:31 PDT 2008

hello tweeties,

the most recent mystery bird identification was a gorgeous Lincoln's sparrow, Melospiza lincolnii;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/10/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_55.php

many of you successfully identified this sweet little sparrow, and you should be proud of yourselves! I have long been partial to sparrows -- "LBJs" -- since one of their number, the white-crowned sparrow, was my dissertation bird, and a close ally, the song sparrow, also was a big focus in my dissertation work. i hope you return to that link to read more about how to ID sparrows from Rick and to get a link to another highly recommended bird field guide (the holidays are coming, remember?).

today's mystery bird, courtesy of Richard Ditch, can be seen here;

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2008/10/todays_mystery_bird_for_you_to_48.php

yes, i know this is an easy bird (and the image is gorgeous), but remember that i am trying to appeal to those out there who are "sort of" interested in birds; giving an easy bird every once in awhile serves to pique their interest as well! So this is your chance to help educate the public by telling them how you ID this species, or by telling them the story of the first time you ever saw this species, or how the bird got it's name, or whatever pops into your mind.

cheers,

GrrlScientist
Devorah
http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/
Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC