[Tweeters] Vaux's Swifts

Diann MacRae tvulture at vei.net
Tue Sep 2 11:10:35 PDT 2008

Hi, Tweets

Last night Bill Kaufman and I did the official counting of Vaux's
Swifts at Wagner Elementary School in Monroe. It's a sight you shouldn't miss!

In an hour, right around the 7:49pm sunset hour, we had 11,000 of
these little guys swirling over our heads and finally heading into
the brick chimney. They had an audience of townspeople also.

We saw our first two birds around 6:15pm, then nothing until around
7pm when they slowly started assembling. By sunset, there were
thousands whirling around the chimney.

This Saturday is the official "Swift Night Out" in Monroe and Monroe
has also designated Saturday as "Monroe Swift Day." There will be
counters, docents, games, a talk, etc. at the school. If you can't
come for the special night, come any night and see the spectacle.

Cheers, Diann

Diann MacRae
Olympic Vulture Study
22622 - 53rd Avenue S.E.