[Tweeters] Bus and Birds:Marymoor Park

Mark Vernon ma_vern at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 2 15:55:47 PDT 2008

This morning I did another one of the easy birding by bus trips, Marymoor Park in Redmond. I have been doing this one for the past three years. I use Sound Transit Route #545. I either catch it in downtown Seattle or meet it at the Overlake Transit Center. Today I came from Renton so I used Sound Transit Route #564 and transferred at the Overlake Transit Center. The #565 would also work for this. The 545 runs frequently, I think every 15 minutes. From Overlake it is not at all far to Redmond.

Arriving in Redmond I got off at the very first stop, at the corner of West Sammish Lake Parkway and Leary Way. I walked a short distance east on Leary Way and jumped onto the Sammamish River Trail. This goes under Leary way and then under 520 and continues to Marymoor Park. It is a pleasant walk, not very far and I was able to bird the whole way. I like to do a loop around the park. Usually I start near the windmill. If there is something interesting at the playfields I will sometimes start there. The dog park walkers are always asking me where my dog is!!!

Today was a really good warbler day. I saw Black-throated Gray Warblers, Townsend Warblers, Yellow Warblers, Wilson's Warblers and some young Common Yellowthroats. Western Tanagers and Warbling Vireos were also about. I didn't see any Purple Martins this time. I also saw an interesting smallish Sparrow that wasn't a Savannah. It was paler and skulky. It was just south of the Windmill. I wish I could describe it better. It was about Savannah sized.

Sometimes, if I have the time, I like to add this to a Montlake Fill or Mercer Slough walk. Usually I walk back north to Redmond along the Sammamish River Trail. The river bank was restored a short time ago. In July I found Green Herons, Wood Ducks, Spotted Sandpipers along the bank.

Mark Vernon
Renton, WA
mailto ma_vern at yahoo.com