[Tweeters] FW: Brown Pelican in Hales Passage

John Rybczyk John.Rybczyk at wwu.edu
Wed Sep 3 11:19:50 PDT 2008

On Sept. 1st, 2008 we observed a Brown Pelican flying south in Hales Passage (Passage East of Lummi Island) approx. 0.5 miles north of Eliza Island. I saw it coming from a distance and just assumed that it was a Great Blue Heron. Something about it's flight pattern must have affected me subconsciously, because even before it was close enough to I.D. I started thinking, "Wouldn't that be neat if that were a Pelican; it would be fun to have them around here on a regular basis". And then as it came closer (it passed within 10 yards of our boat), what do you know, a Brown Pelican! We also saw several (8 to 10) Red Necked Phalaropes in and around Obstruction Pass.

John Rybczyk
Associate Professor
Department of Environmental Science
Western Washington University