[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR: COMMON NIGHTHAWK

Bill Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 12:00:04 PDT 2008

This post is on behalf of Mat Gilfedder, a birder from Brisbane Australia:

Tuesday September 2, 2008 Mat Gilfedder was birding at Ridgefield NWR on the River "S" Unit at Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington; http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ).

Al Larrabee was birding with him for some of his visit.

Around mid day Mat and Al were at the parking lot of the Kiwa Trail. Al had returned to the Kiwa to show a visitor a GREEN HERON. While Al was thus occupied, he missed Mat seeing (and photographing) a COMMON NIGHTHAWK harassing a Red-tailed Hawk. When Al returned, he was only able to see the Red-tailed Hawk.

Al and I both have Mat's clear photo showing both birds as the NIGHTHAWK is departing.

If anyone wants to see the photo, let me know and I can email it as I have no photo posting capability.

Well done Mat!

Not too often do we see COMMON NIGHTHAWKS in the Portland/Vancouver metro area.

Will Clemons
SW of Portland in Mtn Park
willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Birding: