[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2008-09-04

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Sep 4 16:11:32 PDT 2008

Tweets - over a dozen of us had a really fabulous day at Marymoor today.
The weather was perfect and the birds were plentiful. We didn't score any
great rarities, but there was plenty to see. This felt like the end of
summer. I expect there will be a shift in species starting next week. We
still had only breeding birds and migrants; no wintering birds yet, though
they should start showing up any day now.

Summer birds were still in evidence, with Osprey, Vaux's Swift, Western
Wood-Pewee, Willow Flycatcher, Purple Martin, Violet-green Swallow, Cliff
Swallow, Barn Swallow, Swainson's Thrush, Common Yellowthroat, and
Black-headed Grosbeak all still present. Of the breeding birds of Marymoor,
the only ones that seem to have left already are Rufous Hummingbird, Tree
Swallow, and Brown-headed Cowbird.

With some - Warbling Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, Yellow Warbler - the breeders
may have left, but migrating birds from further north are still passing
through. This was pretty clearly the case with the Warbling Vireos, where
we had a flock of about 10 at the south end of the Dog Meadow. Swainson's
Thrushes might also have been migrants - they were found in clusters.

There were also a few birds we only get in migration: Black-throated Gray
Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Western Tanager.

Other highlights:

Bald Eagle Matt heard some early - rare this time of year
VIRGINIA RAIL One seen, heard more, near the weir
Barn Owl Scott had one at some ungodly early hour
Hairy Woodpecker One seen well
Purple Martin One over the mansion
Evening Grosbeak Heard many times, glimpsed once by some

There was one warbler, on the far side of the river, that had us thinking
TENNESSEE WARBLER ??? - but the distance was too great and the viewing too
short. It seemed really pale on the undertail coverts, the tail seemed
short, and the bird seemed overall to be a different shape than the fairly
common Orange-crowned Warblers. The color was much less yellowy than any
OCWAs we saw.

The family of RIVER OTTERS was once again seen in the weir.

For the day, 58 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm