[Tweeters] Clay-colored Sparrow

Jeffrey Bryant jbryant_68 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 19:10:55 PDT 2008

This afternoon I had killer looks at a Clay-colored Sparrow at the Fill (UBNA.)
Right behind the Center for Urban Horticulture, I first saw it with about 6 Savannah Sparrows flushing from within the fenced greenhouse area.  As usual, all the sparrows took cover in the large rosebush near the corner of the cyclone fencing.  The adult nonbreeding CCSP gave great views from a branch of the rosebush, then again from the top of the fence.  Refound it easily on the way out from the (very quiet) Fill about 6:30PM.  Its completely unmarked undersides, clean gray semicollar, and neat white mustache easily separate it from its Savvy buddies.
Also of interest in the little glade east of the CUH parking lot was a Macgillivray's Warbler this morning and at least one Black-throated Gray this afternoon.

Happy migration!

Jeff Bryant
Seattle