[Tweeters] waterfowl observations in Puget Sound (Key Peninsula - Pierce Co.)

Adam Sedgley AdamS at seattleaudubon.org
Sat Sep 6 16:04:46 PDT 2008

Hi Tweets,

Just a quick note: I was driving throughout Pierce County yesterday (Fri) morning/early afternoon establishing survey sites for the Puget Sound Seabird Survey (http://seattleaudubon.org/science.cfm?id=1168) and took some time to quickly scope the water at several locations. Not a lot of species diversity: RED-NECKED GREBES were the most numerous by far (especially around the Key Penisula) at nearly every location and all in breeding plummage. PIGEON GUILLEMOTS were the next most numerous with a notable number of juveniles. The only other waterfowl/seabirds seen all day were a single pair of SURF SCOTERS and several COMMON LOONS.

At Luhr Beach, I took some time to scope the mouth of the Nisqually delta and was blown away at the flock of MERGANSERS actively feeding at the river mouth. I lost count at around 125 and unfortunately the heat distortion prevented me from deciding if they were Common or Red-breasted (they were all females - or perhaps molting males...?). There were also scads of DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS; too many to count. I was sorry that I couldn't stay longer.

Cheers,
Adam Sedgley
Seattle Audubon
adams at seattleaudubon.org