[Tweeters] Clay-colored Sparrow still at the Montlake Fill this morning

Constance Sidles constancesidles at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 23:50:03 PDT 2008

Hey tweets, the Clay-colored Sparrow was gone by the time I got there,
due, no doubt, to a Cooper's Hawk that settled in on the netting and
made irritated noises while gazing downward. I tried to see if there
were frightened birds huddled in the protection under the netting, but
I couldn't make out anything. The hawk cleared out all the birds that
had been fluttering around the area. However, the Clay-colored Sparrow
did return around noon and perched on the netting!!

In the meantime, bummed out about my sparrow-less state, and also after
having found out I missed a McGillivray's Warbler (seen in the bushes
and trees on the west side of this same field), I wended my way over to
Surber and found tons of Northwest Tail-gaters. They were pecking away
at food on the sidewalk. Many were perched in chairs. It was a mixed
flock of adults of both genders, and a few juveniles. Many of the
adults were in breeding plumage, sporting purple and white. I've
noticed before that this species tends to hold onto its breeding
plumage well into winter.

Also present: TOWNSEND'S WARBLER, YELLOW WARBLER, ORANGE-CROWNED
WARBLER, and WARBLING VIREO. Honestly, it was amazing to see any birds
at all, considering the hordes of people stacked up on the sidewalk. -
Connie, Seattle

constancesidles at gmail.com