[Tweeters] Discovery Park bird bath

pan panmail at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 6 22:42:52 PDT 2008

Greetings, all,

EVENING GROSBEAKS got me to Seattle's Discovery Park today, where I
found a couple dozen hanging out in trees east of the south parking lot.
A small puddle remaining in the paved trail (former road) leading east
from the southeast corner of that parking lot was busy with birds
attracted to bathe. Quick observations around 10 a. m. and 1 p. m. had
the spp. in the following list (in order of their appearance), with
bouts of activity interspersed with quieter times. At one point, four
spp. splashed together.

Wilson's Warblers (at least two)
American Robin
Song Sparrow(s)
Hutton's Vireo
Golden-crowned Kinglets (minimum four, one missing an eye)
Orange-crowned Warbler(s)
Black-capped Chickadees
Chestnut-backed Chickadees
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Townsend's Warbler
Swainson's Thrush

Some of these don't often give such close unobstructed views below eye
level. I suspect the spot will remain productive until it dries or we
get more rain.

I also had a couple of AMERICAN PIPITS over West Point and my first
Discovery Park SCRUB-JAY at the treatment plant.

Cheers,

Alan Grenon
Seattle
--