[Tweeters] Washtucna, Palouse Falls, Lyons Ferry, Lind Coulee 9-6-08

Scott Downes downess at charter.net
Sun Sep 7 11:16:00 PDT 2008

Yesterday I led a Yakima Audubon Field trip and was accompanied by 3 intrepid birders. We hit Washtucna first, unfortunately arriving just a little too late to see Steve's amazing find. We did however manage to see the 2 American Redstarts. Also present everywhere yesterday was an mazing amount of Wilson's Warbler and empids.
At Washtucna we located Gray Flycatcher-2
Pacific-slope Flycatcher-2 or 3
Hammond's/Dusky-10+, of those we could get good enough looks at 5 of these, 3 which turned out to be Hammond's and 2 Dusky. Also managed to find a couple of Chipping Sparrows, Warbling vireos, Cassin's Vireo.
At Palouse Falls as tim has already eluded to there were 2 very late fledgling Barn Swallows, here we also found 3 Pacific-slope Flycatchers, 1 adult Golden-crowned Sparrow (possibly same bird as Tim found). And a tanalizing empid that was seen to brief to confirm what I suspect may have added to a banner day in Eastern Washington. One of my participants got me on a empid that was described as "bright yellow with white wing bars". I managed a five-ten second look at the bird which had a bright yellow belly similar to a female Wilson's Warbler, blackish wings contrasting heavily with snow-white (and I mean bright snow-white) wing bars and a roundish complete dull yellow eye ring. Based upon the brief look it matched my experiences with Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, but the bird eleded us and photos and due to the fact it would be a first state record, will have to go unconfirmed.
At Lyon's ferry, we again found the trees dripping with Warblers including Yellow-rumped, Nashville, Townsend's and a few Orange-crowned. Warbling vireos were in full supply as were 6-7 Red-breasted Nuthatches. Over the lake we watched Common Terns including one in first winter plumage.
We finished out the day looking at shorebirds at Lind Coulee and Perch Point where we found the following at Lind Coulee:
Baird's Sandpiper-4
Greater Yellowlegs-14
Lesser Yellowlegs-6
Western and Least Sandpiper-25+ of each
Stilt Sandpiper-1

Perch Point:
Pectoral Sandpiper-1
Baird's Sandpiper-6
Great comparisons between all 3 peeps, including 3 semi's found. Other peeps groups were too far away to pick out subtle differences between western and semi's, so there could have been a couple others.

A great day. Wish we had made our way down to Windust.

Scott Downes
downess at charter.net
Yakima WA