[Tweeters] Semantic question for you all regarding hawks and buzzards

Devorah Bennu birdologist at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 7 17:33:28 PDT 2008

hello tweeties,

A reader of my blog asked me a question that i am unsure of the answer to: why do europeans use "buzzard" to denote a buteo and "hawk" for accipiters while americans use "hawk" for both?

i found that question interesting since i lived most of my life on the west coast and found that "buzzard" was a word used for buteos, but is considered archaic (for whatever reason) and is falling out of favor to be replaced with "hawk." what do you think? i will be reposting your comments (with attribution, of course) to my blog, unless you prefer to go there and continue the discussion with the original person who posed the question;

Roosting high up a tree somewhere in Central Park, NYC