[Tweeters] re: A Plea For More Timely Postings on the Megas

Scott Downes downess at charter.net
Tue Sep 9 10:01:48 PDT 2008

Keith et al.

This brings up a point in all list-serves here in the Northwest on configuration on the birdingonthe.net pages that many people may not be aware of.
If you post to multiple lists (i.e. OBOL, Inland-NW and Tweets) it gets cashed with the first one in the line 3 times for this example (so on the OBOL pages there would be 3 entries and none on the Tweets and Inland pages). I am guilty of it myself having lived in E WA and often I post to both Tweeters and Inland-NW in one post. So, people did post timely responses but they sent to all and first on the page was OBOL. Maybe best thing to do if you want to make sure people get it is to paste the same message into three different emails if the info really is time sensitive.

Also in peoples defense as I do quite a bit of fieldwork in this general area, cell phone coverage is horrible in this area and while people make efforts to notify people, to what lengths are expected? If the bird was observed by a party such as Steve's in the morning I think its unfair to expect them to leave the area they are birding to get into cell range. I know they did call Doug and it was posted by 11:00 (obviously with the problem above). I know this system isnt perfect, but imagine a period fourteen ago (last time this species was seen in ABA area) when we didnt have such abilities to post to so many places and everyone didnt have cell phones. Its not ideal and I know its frustrating to miss a bird, but I personally think the system is pretty darn good as it is. Maybe the one improvement people can do is use my suggestion above for time sensitive info.

Scott Downes
downess at charter.net
Yakima WA