[Tweeters] Another LEWIS'S WOODPECKER - Cedar River Watershed

johntubbs at comcast.net johntubbs at comcast.net
Wed Sep 10 13:30:32 PDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday, I was doing some volunteer work for the wildlife biologist for the Cedar River Watershed and had my second LEWIS'S WOODPECKER (LEWO) of the month on this side of the mountains. This bird was found in a marshy area that had multiple snag trees around its edges. It was mostly working the trees for insects, but was also periodically hawking bugs from the tops of the snags. Prior to this month, I had never seen a LEWO at all on this side of the mountains, but now have two in as many weeks. Can't help but wander if there are more birds moving through this side of the mountains than typical in migration - if that's not the case, I certainly have beaten the statistical odds for this species this year.

John Tubbs
Snoqualmie, WA
johntubbs at comcast.net