[Tweeters] Nisqually NWR 9/10/08

Scrubjay323 at aol.com Scrubjay323 at aol.com
Thu Sep 11 15:55:31 PDT 2008

Tweets.

Yesterday 9 of us enjoyed a great day at Nisqually. It started out with an
AMERICAN BITTERN behind the visitor center and went from there.

Unfortunate, I had jury duty and had to leave before we got to the twin
barns, but by then we had seen MALLARD, WOOD DUCK, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT, and
RED-TAILED HAWK, as well as CANADA GEESE.

After I left the group saw the following:

On the board walk to the barns: swainson's thrush, song sparrow, bc
chickadee

>From the barn overlook: red-tailed hawk, barn swallows, goldfinch, rock

doves, common yellow throat

Cross over boardwalk: downy woodpecker, rufous hummingbird, E. gray squirrel

River overlook: kingfisher, GW gull, several common mergansers(female)

Just past the overlook at the previous hot spot: brown creeper, warbling
vireo, black-throated gray warbler, western tanager.

In the woods to ring dike: western tanager, cedar wax-wing, bewick's wren,
house finch, more downy woodpecker(we saw at least 4 for the day), N. harrier
out in the adjacent field.

Near ring dike: pair of wood ducks

Along the river and thru the woods to the primitive trail: cowbirds, GB
heron, purple finch, violet green swallows, more tanagers, harbor seal

A killdeer was on the shore near the river overlook on the way back, and a
juvenile heron was hunting near the junction to the riparian area.

All in all a good day. Too bad I was stuck inside all day.

Until next week...

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 @aol.com
Lacey, WA