[Tweeters] Whooping cranes & Ike?

David Barber dbarber71 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 13 11:29:58 PDT 2008

Wayne is correct about location if you say about 100 miles is far, far
away. It appears on the edge of the hurricane in the satellite picture
in this morning's paper. The Aransas website dated today has a headline,
"*First Whooping Cranes at Aransas NWR", *and in the article saying that
the birds should be arriving in larger numbers in 2 weeks. Last year 236
birds with 40 chicks were counted there.
You can go to the website yourself at:

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/REFUGES/texas/aransas/whoopingcranes.html

When we were in Houston a few year's ago, there were no whoopers in the
Galveston area. However, there are still significant bird wintering
areas around Houston and Galveston. In three days, I added about 30
birds to my lifelist while getting back to Houston in time to have
dinner with my wife who was conferencing there.

David Barber
Vancouver, WA