[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR: SANDHILL CRANES and BARN OWL

Will Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 15:29:58 PDT 2008

My Mom (Olive), her friend Eileen, and I birded the River "S" Unit at Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington; http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ).

We were there from about 7a until 2p.

Highlights:

SANDHILL CRANES are back and we saw about a dozen and heard more.

GREEN HERON: One was still hanging around the first water after the entrance gate to the Kiwa Trail.

BARN OWL: Pure luck on this beauty, as we were in the Oregon Ash woodland after the Kiwa Trail parking lot. We had stopped and got out of the car so Mom could see some Raccoons (adult + 3 kits) on the far bank of the water control canal. While we were watching them, a large bird switched limbs. At first I thought it a hawk when it lit anew, as was in mixed light and shade. When we got binocular views you could clearly see it was a BARN OWL that had changed to a better napping perch. It looked briefly at us and then returned to dozing.

Will Clemons
SW of Portland
willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Birding:
The best excuse for getting outdoors
And avoiding chores

Complete list of 48 species seen / heard:

Pied-billed Grebe
American Bittern
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret