[Tweeters] Grey Catbird and Eurasian Collared Dove - Fall City

Rob Conway robin_birder at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 15 17:25:59 PDT 2008

Tweets,

I spent a yesterday afternoon biking around the neighborhood and doing some birding while I was at it. Two best birds of the day were both at the same place - The old Wells Nursery site in Fall City at 328th and SE 48th - 3 Eurasian Collared Doves and a Grey Catbird. The doves were sitting on the top of the one remaining old nursery building and while I was watching them I heard the Catbird call and eventually found him just east in the area that now holds the remaining nursery stock and birdbaths/statuary. The Catbird was quite skulky (as they can be) going in and out of the potted/bag and burlapped trees, but gave me a couple of minutes of good clear views. I'm guessing he's a vagrant lost on the wrong side of the mountains during the start of migration.

More and more I'm thinking that we may have a mini vagrant trap at the SE end of the Snoqualmie Valley that likely then runs up and over either- the Snoqualmie River middle fork - over the Tiger Summit area toward Enumclaw or ??? I've come to this conclusion as between John Tubbs and I we have had Williamsons Sapsucker, Grey Catbird, Ferruginous Hawk, Calliope and Black-Chinned Hummers, and at least 3 Lewis' Woodpeckers this year along with a high number of the less common warblers passing through the Fall City/Snoqualmie/North Bend area. I wish I had more field time right now to work on this ... but there is always next year.

Cheers

RobRob Conway Preston / Fall City, WAlatitude 47 32' 20" , longitude -121 54' 42" robin_birder at hotmail.com