[Tweeters] a few more migrants n. Lake Stevens, thoughts on next steps in the migration

Scott Atkinson scottratkinson at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 16 13:54:40 PDT 2008

Tweeters:

We've had the usual migrants passing through this last week, nothing unusual, five of our regular eight warblers included. A RED-BREASTED SAPSUCKER has been around the last couple weeks, along with a few flocks of RED CROSSBILLS.

I've noted that one insect I often associate with the season, our regular winged termite (species unknown) that undertakes a regular flight each year in August, has been astonishingly late this year--one begins to encounter them around August 12-22 evenings, but this year I had none until September 1st--and I'm still seeing scattered insects now! The local paper ran an article yesterday about how incredibly late the sweet corn crop is this year, owing to the exceptionally cold spring. Considering that we may be still experiencing effects from last spring now, it is encouraging to think that, even given the spectacular rarities we've had (thinking of the e. WA passerines especially) that there may be more goodies to come. And even if things seem to be unfolding in a more-or-less correct time interval, it seems we've had virtually no reports of Buff-breasted Sandpiper (recall one found by others in early August near Blyn in Clallam) and some of the regular winterers like Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Fox & Lincoln's Sparrows and others seemed a bit late for first arrivals. Baird's Sandpipers really weren't being reported until well into August, whereas many years there's a few in July and sometimes singles in early July. It's tempting after the latest reports to think that the best of exciting fall passage is already behind us, but it may not be so--time will tell.

Scott Atkinson
Lake Stevens
mail to: scottratkinson at hotmail.com