[Tweeters] 8 HORNED GREBES on VANCE Creek

Ruth Sullivan godwit513 at msn.com
Sat Sep 20 10:59:56 PDT 2008

Hello Tweeters,
Yesterday Vicki Biltz accompanied on a day of birding in the memory of
Patrick Sullivan who passed away last year on the 19th of September 2007
I was so grateful for her company,since she is the person who knew Patrick
and who he was to have the understanding for me to make this day special.
The birding however was slow,especial of Warblers who are all in Eastern
Washington,we had only a few Yellow rumped Warblers all day the many places
we visiting.Our trip supposed to be exploring the Wynoochee Valley,all the
way up to the Wynoochee Lake.Our trip was short going to the lake as the
Road was closed to the Lake
I the morning we start birding at Mud Bay,there was NO Duck species at
all.But the tide was high and we had 15 GREATER YELLOWLEGS,with 2 LESSER
YELLOWLEGS.Our next stop was Vance Creek,taken the loop to Satsop.Driving to
Brady, it was so silent ,the only birds we saw was 14 Pin Siskin and lot,s
of Flickers. We than take the adventure to the Wynoochee Valley where we
supposed to spend most of the day,but we both was so disappointed the
scenery was good but so view birds we had.This area been basically been not
birdied ,so few reference are been mention,we also could not find this area
mention in Hal Opperman,s"A Birders Guide to Washington".So this is first
for both of us.We had time to going also to Friends Landing and ending on
Kennedy Creek,many to show Vicki the display of this Wildlife Area where you
basically only bid in an incoming tide.
Here are the birds we found in this areas: VANCE PARK had our only
highlight of the day ,8 HORNED GREBES,
1 Green Heron, 4 Cedar Waxwing ,3 Yellow rumped Warblers, 3 Evening
Grosbeaks.
WYNOOCHEE VALLEY, few house Sparrow,Goldfinches,song Sparrows, 1Spotted
Towhee, and 8 Greater Yellowlegs,
with 4 Killdeer on the Wynoochee River with 1 Northern Harrier in the
fields.
Next FRIENDS LANDING ; 1 Bewick'sWren, Black-capped Chickadee, Steller's
Jay,Scrub Jay,1 Bald Eagle,1 Blue Heron.
We ended the day at Kennedy Creek,where we had the only Ducks of the day
including, 8 Green -winged Teals,
6 Gadwall,,8 Northern Pintail, and 4 American Wigeon.
Even so it was a slow day of birding we enjoyed our company tremendous on
this day to remember the sad day a year ago
A Thank you to all the Birder who wrote such nice words to me in
remembrance of Patrick.I all appreciate you thoughts so much.A SPECIAL
THANKS go to Vicki Biltz who made sure that I not be alone this day.

It was a good day with NO TEARS !!!!!

Cheers Ruth Sullivan