[Tweeters] Moby Shoveler

bucephala at comcast.net bucephala at comcast.net
Sun Sep 21 20:30:36 PDT 2008

Ahoy Tweets

Captain William 'Ahab' Tweit and I birded from Bottle Beach to Washaway Beach today with variable weather which fortunately was mostly clear.

By far the most interesting bird of the day was one pure albino Northern Shoveler at Bottle Beach. This gleaming white bird had a red eye and pinkish yellow beak and legs. It certainly stood out from the crowd of shovelers, pintails, and wigeon. Also at Bottle Beach were many Black-bellied Plovers, Least Sandpipers, and a Whimbrel.

Westport was swirling with Brown Pelicans, Heermann's Gulls, Sooty Shearwaters, and numerous species of southbound ducks. No 'rockpipers' though.

At Midway beach a Red-necked Phalarope greeted us at the pond on the left with two Pectoral Sandpipers at the far end. A large flock of Sanderling was roosting on the sand. We saw one Streaked Horned Lark and a couple pipits. As we approached our car on the return the Buff-breasted Sandpiper was spotted. It came quite close for excellent looks. Doug Watkins, Bob Norton and friends had just arrived to enjoy this lovely bird. Sounds like their Sabine's Gull showed up just after we left.

The neighborhood around Warrenton Cannery Road provided lots of Red-breasted Nuthatches and Chestnut-backed Chickadees, but not many other species.

Overall we tallied 72 species.

Good Birding to all.

Tom

--