[Tweeters] Benton, Franklin, Adams, western Whitman Cos.

washingtonbirder.Knittle washingtonbirder at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 21 21:17:24 PDT 2008

Friday:
Tom Mansfield and I birded Benton Co. Areas covered were: Columbia Park, Bateman Island, Two Rivers County Park, Whitcomb Island NWR, Crow Butte Park, Sonova Rd., Ward Gap Rd., Prosser Falls, and Horn Rapids Co. Park.
Birds of note were: Western Tanager and Lesser Yellowlegs in Columbia Park; Fox Sparrow and Gray Catbird on Bateman Island; 3 Eurasian Collared-Doves on Sonova Rd. which is straght north of Crow Butte; Black-crowned Night-Herons and a Spotted Sandpiper at Prosser Falls. Basically no shorebirds due to high water everwhere and Friday was a very warm day with little bird activity except for 2 species which were everywhere (White-crowned Sparrows, and Yellow-rumped Warblers).

Saturday:
Areas covered were: Hatton Reststop Pond, Washtucna, Hooper, Lyon's Ferry, Wind Dust Park, Sacajawea Park, and Pasco Animal Shelter Pond.Birds of note were: 3 Baird's Sandpipers at Hatton Reststop Pond(no Golden-Plover as found by Randy Hill), Swainson's Hawk east of Hatton, Cassin's and Warbling Vireos, Townsend's Warbler, and Western Tanager at Washtucna; Hermit Thrush at Hooper, 2 Turkey Vultures west of Hooper flying from Whitman Co. into Adams Co.-very rare in this area; MacGillivray's and Wilson's Warblers, and several Hermit Thrushes at Lyon's Ferry, and Vaux's Swift flying over the Pasco Animal Shelter. The wind was strong in many places and cold.

Sunday morning:
Scooteney Res. produced some nice finds including: American Bittern, Brewer's Sparrow, Common Yellowthroat, and Marsh Wren. The Brewer's Sparrow responded to the I-Pod. The American Bittern flushed when we just mentioned trying the I-Pod. Amasing how birds can read our minds.

A Great 3 days of birding some of which was in areas seldom birded.
Ken KnittleVancouver WA 98665 mailto:washingtonbirder at hotmail.com Washington Birder online http://www.wabirder.com/