[Tweeters] "late" migrants near Tenino, 9/22

Paul Hicks phicks at accessgrace.org
Tue Sep 23 10:47:37 PDT 2008

Tweets, Monday around 9am I stumbled into a sparrow confab on Melville St on
the west end of Rock Prairie (alpaca farm) west of Tenino, the same group
observed 1-1/2 weeks ago. They were frolicking and feeding on the street and
along the fencelines in the early morning sunshine, and after 20 minutes, as
if on cue, dispersed into the expanse of Scotch Broom. The whole time a
WHITE-TAILED KITE was hovering and foraging in the background--very cool!
Among the White-crowns, Savannahs, Lincoln's and juncos I again spotted one
CHIPPING SPARROW, along with one bright and gorgeous YELLOW WARBLER and two
HOUSE WRENs which were possibly all loosely associating with the sparrow
flock. A KITE was also present further to the west at Gibson x 173rd north
of the racetrack. I encountered season firsts for VARIED and HERMIT THRUSH
on Vantine Rd east and north of Tenino (Bob Sundstrom heard the former at
his place several days ago), with a SWAINSON'S calling nearby near
sunset--only after considerable coaxing. Good birding!
--Paul Hicks / Tenino, s. Thurston Co / phicks AT accessgrace.org