[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR Fall Returnees: Gr White-fronted Geese + Sandhill Cranes

Will Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 14:13:52 PDT 2008

Today from about 6:45a until about 12:45p, my Mom (Olive) and I birded the River "S" Unit at Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington; http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ).

GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE: Only 2 were seen on Rest Lake, but it was nice to see them back on the ground.

SANDHILL CRANE: Another fall returning wonder, and always a pleasure to hear and also to see. I heard many more than I saw, but saw at least 50.

NOTE: Next Tuesday (Sep 30th) is the last day the Kiwa Trail is open for walking.

>From Oct 1 through April 30, You are not allowed out of your car at RNWR River S Unit except at the entrance booth area, and at The Blind area.

Will Clemons
SW of Portland
willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

The best excuse for getting outdoors
And avoiding chores

Complete list of 49 species seen / heard:

Pied-billed Grebe
EARED GREBE (2 winter plume on Rest Lake)
American Bittern
Great Blue Heron
GREEN HERON (near Kiwa Trail entrance)
Turkey Vulture
Wood Duck
American Wigeon
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy Duck
Northern Harrier
COOPER'S HAWK (2 soaring near entrance)
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
MERLIN (perched in tree near Hunters Gate)
SANDHILL CRANE (small & med flocks seen ~ 50 in all)
Greater Yellowlegs (plenty on Rest Lake)
Long-billed Dowitcher (a couple dozen on Rest Lake)
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl (in woodland after Kiwa parking lot)
Vaux's Swift
Belted Kingfisher
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Northern Flicker