[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR Fall Returnees: Gr White-fronted Geese + Sandhill Cranes

Will Clemons willclemons at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 14:13:52 PDT 2008

Today from about 6:45a until about 12:45p, my Mom (Olive) and I birded the River "S" Unit at Ridgefield NWR (~4mi W of I-5 at Exit 14 in SW Washington; http://www.fws.gov/ridgefieldrefuges/ ).

Highlights:

GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE: Only 2 were seen on Rest Lake, but it was nice to see them back on the ground.

SANDHILL CRANE: Another fall returning wonder, and always a pleasure to hear and also to see. I heard many more than I saw, but saw at least 50.

NOTE: Next Tuesday (Sep 30th) is the last day the Kiwa Trail is open for walking.

>From Oct 1 through April 30, You are not allowed out of your car at RNWR River S Unit except at the entrance booth area, and at The Blind area.

Will Clemons
SW of Portland
willclemons AT Yahoo dot com

Birding:
The best excuse for getting outdoors
And avoiding chores

Complete list of 49 species seen / heard:

Pied-billed Grebe
EARED GREBE (2 winter plume on Rest Lake)
American Bittern
Great Blue Heron
GREEN HERON (near Kiwa Trail entrance)
BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON (near Hunters Gate)
Turkey Vulture
GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE (2 on Rest Lake)
Wood Duck
American Wigeon
Mallard
Cinnamon Teal
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Ruddy Duck
Northern Harrier
COOPER'S HAWK (2 soaring near entrance)
Red-tailed Hawk
American Kestrel
MERLIN (perched in tree near Hunters Gate)
SANDHILL CRANE (small & med flocks seen ~ 50 in all)
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs (plenty on Rest Lake)
Long-billed Dowitcher (a couple dozen on Rest Lake)
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl (in woodland after Kiwa parking lot)
Vaux's Swift
Belted Kingfisher
Red-breasted Sapsucker
Northern Flicker