[Tweeters] time to look UP

Kevin Purcell kevinpurcell at pobox.com
Wed Sep 24 10:31:21 PDT 2008

I saw 8 turkey vultures in a group soaring rather weakly and very low
(< 200 feet AGL ... flying under VFR apparently!) south of Volunteer
Park on Capitol Hill Tuesday at 4pm.

Currently weather conditions are not good for soaring. Very weak
cumulus built up over the hill at midday Tuesday and by that late in
the afternoon it had started to turn back to low stratus. So the
thermals would be very weak and might explain why they're so low.

I wonder if the mesoscale meteorological forecasts of convection
(CAPE (convective available potential energy) or lifted index or
lapse rate) are of any use in predicating when raptors will start to
soar southwards (or which route they'll take when they do move). UW
for example runs MM5 for detailed local forecasts based on the
results of the global models. If anyone has done any work in this
area I'd like to know more about it.

I'd been wondering when they'ed start showing up. It's a start. I
think the largest bunch I saw last year was a group of 31 over
Capitol Hill

On Sep 22, 2008, at 1:42 PM, Diann MacRae wrote:

> Hi, Tweets

> Just read one of the B.C. reports that noted 400 turkey vultures

> over Sooke. These clouds of vultures head back and forth up and

> down the small area of coastal British Columbia between Rocky Point

> and west Sooke until weather or whatever triggers the move to head

> south over the strait. So....be on the lookout in the next few days

> for possible numbers of turkey vultures over our area.

> Last year on the 28th there were 61 kettling over Beacon Hill with

> smaller numbers elsewhere around Puget Sound, then on the 29th

> there were 172 over the Foothills Trail and 918 came into Salt

> Creek off the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

Kevin Purcell
kevinpurcell at pobox.com