[Tweeters] Huge Vaux's numbers at Monroe

Larry Schwitters lpatters at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 26 09:53:15 PDT 2008

Tweeters,

Monroe's Wagner Elementary School's chimney continues to stand out as a
critical shelter for migrating Vaux's Swifts. Judy Alles stopped by
"early" on a rainy Thursday afternoon to see if there was any swift
action. The birds had beat her to it, and there's no way of telling
how many had gone in before she got there. She took up the count and
50 minutes later passed the baton to the scheduled counter and docent
that arrived around 6. Judy had checked in over 8,000 at that point.

Last night's partial count was 16,000 plus.

I'm glad we're doing this Vaux's Happening count the swifts thing.

Larry