[Tweeters] Marymoor Park Report (Redmond, King Co., WA) 2008-09-25

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at verizon.net
Thu Sep 25 20:35:18 PDT 2008

Tweets - Predawn through early morning was absolutely magical today, but by
9:30, it began to rain, and it was generally damp (though mostly not
raining) and cloudy the rest of the morning. It didn't seem that birdy -
maybe the birds were chased off by the abundance of accipiters and falcons.

I got there early - early enough that the moon was a gorgeous sliver, that
Orion was still clearly visible, and either Saturn or Jupiter was keeping
Orion company. The sky was light in the east and there were no clouds
overhead and no hint of fog. I met up with Scott, who told me I'd missed
the Barn Owl by about 10 minutes, but we waited along the edge of the East
Meadow anyway, hoping to see one again. And sure enough, Scott spotted two,
and we watched them fly together around the north end of the East Meadow.
Eventually one worked its way down the middle of the meadow towards us
before disappearing to the southeast. A really nice start to the morning.

And then there was the parade of raptors:

Bald Eagle One at the lake
Northern Harrier Male hunting the East Meadow
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1-2
Cooper's Hawk More than a half-dozen sightings
Red-tailed Hawk Only 2
Peregrine Falcon Dark bird flew down the slough
American Kestrel Looping its way south over the East Meadow

We had Cooper's Hawk chasing Cooper's Hawk, COHA chasing Northern Harrier.
COHA chasing and almost catching Northern Flicker,...

Other highlights:

Wilson's Snipe Along the slough below the weir
American Coot First of Fall - maybe 15 on the lake
Vaux's Swift Maybe 20 swirling together over the slough
American Robin Huge numbers today
Or.-crowned Warbler Only 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler Large flock (20-30) in one tree early
Townsend's Warbler One northeast of mansion
Evening Grosbeak Flock of 12 at the south end of the Dog Meadow

We also had two Raccoons, some deer, and a large jumping salmon.

No more Black-headed Grosbeaks. Only 1 Swainson's Thrush. Only Barn
Swallows left, but still fairly plentiful. Summer is definitely on its last
legs. But no winter ducks today, and still no Ruby-crowned Kinglets or
Winter Wrens, so we're not quite switched to winter either.

For the day, 58 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== Kirkland, WA
== http://www.marymoor.org/birding.htm