[Tweeters] Puget Sound Seabird Survey needs birders in Pierce County! (Citizen Science)

Adam Sedgley AdamS at seattleaudubon.org
Fri Sep 26 00:00:02 PDT 2008

Hello tweets,

We still need volunteers to visit some fantastic survey sites in Pierce County. Any birders live near Steilacoom, Gig Harbor or on the Key Peninsula? Live in Tacoma and want to make a valuable contribution to our understanding of wintering seabirds in south Puget Sound?

We have sites that will offer great birding this winter. Visit http://tinyurl.com/528h27 and let me know which site(s) you'd like to visit!

Thank you.
Adam Sedgley
adams at seattleaudubon.org

________________________________

Subject: Puget Sound Seabird Survey needs birdwatchers like YOU! (Citizen Science)

Are you a birdwatcher who can give a couple hours on the first Saturday of every month this winter?

Do you want to make a valuable contribution to our understanding of the seabird populations of Puget Sound?

In April of this year, Seattle Audubon completed the pilot season of the Puget Sound Seabird Survey. The result: an immense success with over 40 experienced volunteers counting waterbirds at 30 survey sites from Edmonds to Dash Pt, Federal Way. From October until April a total of 57 species were tallied during a combined 210 survey hours over 25 square miles of nearshore saltwater habitat. Data was submitted online and analyzed by our scientists. We built a solid framework for a citizen science project that addresses a known gap in our understanding of local seabird populations.

And we want YOU to be a part of it. Starting this October, we will be ramping up the survey again with new survey sites in new areas of Puget Sound.

--------------------------------

WHO: Citizen scientists like you!
WHAT: Puget Sound Seabird Survey, the ONLY multi-month seabird survey in central and south Puget Sound.
WHEN: The first Saturday of every month, October through April. Count to take place within two hours on either side of high tide (4-hour window). Only 15-30 minutes per survey site.

October 4 7:37am - 11:37am
November 1 6:37am - 10:37am
December 6 9:06am - 1:06pm
January 3 7:21am - 11:21am
February 7 11:58am - 3:58pm
March 7 10:58am - 2:58pm
April 4 10:47am - 2:47pm

WHERE: Central Puget Sound (eastern shoreline) from Edmonds Ferry Terminal south to Steilacoom in Pierce County and over to Purdy*

HOW: It's easy! You can find the protocol, recording form and a list of available survey sites (now viewable in Google Earth!) on our website: http://seattleaudubon.org/science.cfm?id=1168.

To learn more about the results from the 2007-8 survey, please visit: http://seattleaudubon.org/science.cfm?id=1299

Adam Sedgley | Science Associate

206-985-6993 adams at seattleaudubon.org

Seattle Audubon Society | for birds and nature

8050 35th Ave. NE Seattle, WA 98115

P: 206-523-8243 F: 206-528-7779

www.seattleaudubon.org <http://www.seattleaudubon.org/>