[Tweeters] Freshwater scoter

Messick, Katie Katie.Messick at kingcounty.gov
Fri Sep 26 10:24:39 PDT 2008

Hi Tweets,

Yesterday I was out on Lake Desire, which is southwest of Renton up on
the plateau, and saw a surf scoter swimming around. I think of scoters
as strictly saltwater ducks, so I assume this one was just lost, but how
often do sea ducks end up in fresh water, and if they don't move on,
does it have any adverse effect on them?

Also seen:
Green heron (the open space on the SE side of the lake is great habitat)
Three belted kingfishers
An adult female and three teenaged common mergansers
A small flock of migrants including a singing Wilson's warbler
Plus all the usual suspects.

Thanks,
Katie Messick
Seattle