[Tweeters] Washtucna & Windust today

Michael Woodruff crazybirder98 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 26 15:12:11 PDT 2008

I headed down into the basin again today to check out a few migrant
traps. My first stop was at Ralston, where the trees were loaded with
Yellow-rumped Warblers and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. This was the norm
for the day -- both are coming through in high numbers right now. I
also had a few Varied Thrushes, a juvie GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, and one
lutescens Orange-crowned Warbler. I had a bright vireo that got away,
but it was likely (I tell myself) just a bright contrasting Cassin's.

At Washtucna I ran into Michael Hobbs and Randy Hill. We covered the
area pretty well but didn't turn up any rarities. In addition to
Yellow-rumped's there were several Wilson's, 2 orestera Orange-crowned,
1 Townsend's, and 1 MacGillivray's Warbler. I had another
GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, as well as a "Sooty" FOX SPARROW. There was a
particularly active and drab Cassin's Vireo as an interesting
comparison to my bird earlier, and an abundance of Hermit Thrushes.
Two Western Tanagers were getting late.

I decided with the tantalizing late report of the Variegated Flycatcher
that I had to get down to Windust and check things out. I didn't turn
up the flycatcher, but of course I suspect it's not too far away, so
this location should continue to be checked. There are plenty of other
birds around to look at anyway. I had a flyover DOWNY WOODPECKER and a
few Pine Siskins, and a lone female CASSIN'S FINCH foraging on the
grass with juncos and Chipping Sparrows. In the shrubs along the water
I had yet another juvenile GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROW, a WINTER WREN, a
couple Lincoln's Sparrows, and several more Hermit Thrushes. Warblers
included one more MacGillivray's, 6 Wilson's, and a few Orange-crowned
(both ssp). Juncos and Yellow-rumped Warblers were everywhere, and a
few Western Grebes were the only birds on the water.

I had to stop on my way north to look again for the vireo at Ralston,
but couldn't turn it up. I did however have a LEWIS'S WOODPECKER in
the bare tree beside the road, possibly the same bird Jon Isacoff had

It was a great morning. Migration is still on!

Michael Woodruff

Spokane, WA