[Tweeters] Ridgefield NWR: Sharp-tailed Sandpiper Update

Scott Carpenter slcarpenter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 21:11:00 PDT 2008

I last saw the SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPER at the south end of Rest Lake at
around 6:15 p.m. on Saturday. It was in the company of several
Pectoral Sandpipers on the muddy/weedy area in the western portion of
the south end of the lake -- not far from where one was at this
location 3 (?) years ago. Rest Lake is almost as dry as it was then,
too.

The many shorebirds present today were very flighty in the late
afternoon/early evening. There were quite a few peeps on the extreme
south end of Rest Lake -- I had to stand on my car to see them from
the road. They were also visible from the blind, but barely. I found
only two BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS, along with Western and Least Sandpipers.

After seeing the report of a NORTHERN PYGMY OWL sighted at the Kiwa
Trail entrance, I spent about an hour walking and hooting in the
wooded portions of the trail, but with no luck. There were 2 Great
Horned Owls in the woods there, though. They were quite vocal in the
evening.

Scott Carpenter
Portland, Oregon